Monday, September 5, 2011

Sometimes, you can get what you want...

When I was young, and things didn't go my way, my dad would sing, with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye, the famous Rolling Stones song, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" . Even as a young child, I knew that I couldn't get what I wanted. But that didn't stop me from trying.

But this time, in this particular situation, I got what I wanted, and man - I worked for it. I have a date for my surgery and I am getting the procedure for my right shoulder that I want. I feel the need to clarify that this is my right shoulder, as I already have some hardware in my left shoulder.

I am having a shoulder resurfacing hemiarthroplasty, and my hardware will look like this when I'm all done.  I can't have a total shoulder replacement, as mentioned in previous blogs, as I don't have enough bone in my glenoid to hold a prosthesis.  So what they can do is shave down the humeral head, and then a metal cap with a spike to secure the prosthesis will be implanted. Think of a large, shiny tack being inserted into my shoulder. Don't worry, I'll be well medicated.

I am releived to have a date, something to focus on and plan towards. I am not afraid of the surgery and have an expectation of what the pain will feel like and what the recovery time will look like. I'm ok with all of this. And I got what I wanted. I mean, who really wants a shoulder replacement? Well, I do.

No comments: