Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Arthritis of the Heart: A post from my Dad


Hi. I am Megan’s father.

I have Arthritis of the Heart.

This is a chronic ailment. 

There is no known cure. 

There is no medication to ease this pain.

This location of my arthritis is at the intersection of my love for Megan and the helplessness I feel.
When Megan was 16 years old she was a jock – basketball; volleyball; outdoor education with its rock climbing; spelunking; canoeing; swimming and fitness requirements.

When Megan was 16 years old she came upstairs one day and said – “Dad, my feet hurt.” That statement was the start of her arthritis journey.

As Megan’s father I felt that I had failed her. As her father it is my responsibility to protect her from danger as she grows up. I felt helpless that I could not stop her from having arthritis. It’s irrational – I know. But a father’s feelings aren’t always rational. I wept for my daughter’s pain.

Fast forward 20 years.

We have both learned more about arthritis and each other through Megan’s non-stop journey.
I now know that for every person who has arthritis there are two or three more people who have Arthritis of the Heart. We are the people who love the people with arthritis.

As long as Megan has her arthritis – I don’t want to be cured of mine.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Megan's Dad, thanks for sharing. "As her father it is my responsibility to protect her from danger as she grows up. I felt helpless that I could not stop her from having arthritis. It’s irrational – I know." I was just sharing this same idea with my teenage daughter the other day with a health issue she has had since infancy. It breaks your heart as a parent not being able to protect them or figure out a way to make it all go away. A very touching post.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just wow. And I'm floored and teary eyed. Thanks Dad.
Chelsea

Deb aka AbcsOfra said...

As an ra patient myself I do understand your feelings but as a parent of two children that one day may face the same challenges I currently face, I see myself in your writing. Thank you for sharing. And thank you for caring.