Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Unpretty

Like many, I have good hair days, bad hair days. I also have good RA days and bad RA days. Sometimes the stars align and good RA and hair days happen on the same day. That is a very good day. There are also days where I have horrid, frizzy, unmanageable hair and a baseball-sized left knee. Today, was the latter.

Last night I tossed and turned with my swollen knee for 2 hours (musical joints strike again), and gave up at 1 am - taking a T3 to manage the pain. I slept and woke up feeling sore, but better than when I went to bed.

I thought about my day ahead - the number of meetings, the number of interviews and simply gave up, at 7:00 am. I found some jeans that go with flats, a nice long sleeved shirt, an elastic for my hair and that was that. Not my usual standard for work attire.

I wasn't having a good hair or RA day, and those are tough day. Everything is bleak, there is no joy to be found. Sometimes I can work up enough effort to have a good hair day and that might just be enough to forget the bad RA days. If you look good, you feel good. Sometimes crisp black dress pants, comfortable heels and a sweater can lift my spirits and I feel good about myself and forget my base-ball sized knee and slight limp. This did not happen today.

I had TLC's "Unpretty" running through my head today, it's got a good message and it matched my mood.

1 comment:

Deb aka AbcsOfra said...

When I was first diagnosed with ra, my knees were one of the worst joints that got hit. And for someone driving a stick shift car and living three flights up that all were only accomplished by walking....owwwie! My heart goes out to you. If your knee is really swollen at the back of the knee you may have what they call a baker's cyst. I really never found a solution to my knee agony. Tried everything. And unfortunately for me the only thing that helped (putting a pillow under them when sleeping) was suppose to be bad for them. I was told to try and keep them flat...yeah...right. Like, that ain't gonna happen. Feel better!!