Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My 35th Birhday

Sunday was my 35th birthday. I am now 35 years old. I now have to check off the 35 - 49 box on random surveys. Or at least the ones where I get a free Starbucks beverage. Hmm, Starbucks. I digress.

April 25th was eventful. At midnight I was in a bar supporting my soon-to-be sister-in-law through the rite of passage known as the bachlorette party. There were about 10 of us, and most were closer to her age (27) than mine. I would have felt old, except for the dodgy 40 year old men who were leering at all of the younger women. We had a super time.

Needless to say, on Sunday I was a little tired and sore. And my feet hurt, a lot. So much so, that 1/2 way home on my 3.5 hour car ride from Toronto to Ottawa, I pulled over, called my hubby and cried. I was wearing running shoes done up as loosely a I could, and they were throbbing and inflamed. After a good cry and a few rounds of "how the hell am I going to get home?", I pulled myself together, got a Timmy's Steeped Tea, took two Tylenol and just kept driving. What else was there to do? I think this is reflection of my life. Sometimes you just need to suck it up and keep going - because there aren't any other options.

My day improved when I got home - the kids came out running to see me and had lots of hugs and stories about their weekend. I had a lovely birthday dinner, home made cards and some thoughtful gifts. And then a migrane which lasted for 12 hours.

My birthday brought a little from column A and a little from column B. There is happiness and joy, and at the same time there is pain and frustration. I think my birthday reflected the balance of my life right now. I'm hoping for a little more from column A (happiness and joy). We'll see how the year unfolds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Megan! May this next year be filled with all the happiness and joy you can handle. And may it also bring you great improvement in your RA and a whole lot less pain. 35? You're a baby!
Hugs!

Laurie Grassi said...

Happy Birthday, Megan! Ditto what Wren said! :) L

Helen said...

Happy birthday! I wish you a wonderful year ahead (especially with your new job!).