Thursday, December 15, 2011

Oh, the irony

You have to have a sense of humour when you have a chronic disease. You have to be able to laugh at yourself a little. And you have to have someone in your life that can lift the mood.

It's too bad it's 3 in the morning, and my husband is sleeping, because I could use a laugh right now. I am recovering from shoulder surgery on my right side, I am relying heavily on my left arm. Wouldn't it be funny if my left wrist puffed up like a balloon, and didn't work properly? That would be just freakin' hilarious. John would have a witty, sarcastic one-liner that would make me smile, and then he would help me get dressed and do my hair. He is a very patient man, as I have long curly hair and strong sense of independence. It doesn't usually go well for either of us.

To add fuel to this fire of inflammation,  that is happening right now, a mere 10 sleeps before Christmas. Don't get me wrong, having shoulder surgery November 1st provides significantly fewer expectations on Christmas, but there are some minimum standards I am hoping to meet. Like presents for everyone on the list.

Just when I was getting my sea legs under me and starting to drive myself around, it seems my body has other ideas for me, as usual. But the irony is not lost on me. If you only have one arm, then let's have a flare in a pivotal joint, just for fun. The other irony is the first thing I think to do while not able to sleep due to the pain and discomfort, is write a blog entry thus using the wrist that is screaming in pain. Oh, the irony.

There is a very fitting song to go with this post, from a fellow Canadian - Alanis Morissette's "Ironic". Yep, this is pretty ironic.

No comments: